skip to main content

From the Nurse's Office

The Board of Education recognizes that good student health is vital to successful student learning by promoting quality health services.

The Nurse's Office is available to parents and students during school hours. If you have any questions, please contact Laura Burr, RN at (631) 324-0144 or via email at: or, or Fax: (631) 324-1374.



New York State requires that all students new to Springs UFSD must have an updated physical, completed by a NYS provider, and immunization record on file in the nurse’s office. Please forward a copy of the physical and immunizations to the school nurse.




Physicals are required for grades preK, K 1,3,5 and 7:

New York state requires that all students entering grades pre-K, K, 1, 3, 5 and 7 have an updated
physical on file in the nurse’s office. If your student has had a physical at their doctor, it is important
that a copy of that physical is given to the nurse. A physical dated not more than 12 months prior to the
beginning of the school year in which the examination is required fulfills the requirement. For example, for 
the 2021-2022 school year, any physical conducted on or after September 9, 2020 is valid. Forms may be obtained from the link below or in the Nurse's office.


Physical forms for Grades Pre-K through 8th (non-sport)



All students playing a school sport, must have a current sports physical on file in the nurse’s office plus
additional paperwork for playing sports. Also if your student uses any medication such as an inhaler,
epipen, etc., the proper paper work for using the medication in school must also be on file in the nurse’s
office. The medication permission slip must be signed by both the parent and the doctor. Also certain
students who have specific medical problems must have clearance from their specialists. This includes,
but not limited to, cardiac problems, kidney problems, chronic disease such as cystic fibrosis, etc. No
sports card will be issued unless all paperwork is completed and in the nurse’s office.

Sports physicals are done at school in June for incoming 7th and 8th grade students at no cost to the student. Dates will be posted in the Nurse's Office Update section when they become available or you may contact
 the Nurse's office. Forms may be obtained from the link below or in the Nurse's office.


Sports Physical Forms for Grades 7 & 8 (must complete all 4)

Physical Form

Parent Consent Form

Health History for Athletics

SCA Parent Notification



A dental health certificate shall be requested for each student at the same time that the health certificates are required, when entering grades pre-K or K, 1, 3, 5 and 7, as well as all new entrants to the district. The examination shall not be more than twelve (12) months prior to the commencement of the school year in which the examination is requested. Dental forms to be completed can be found below.


Dental Certificate 


For a student to take medication at school, the proper paperwork must be on file in the nurse’s office.

This paperwork must be completed by the parent and signed, and then signed by the doctor. All
medication must be brought to school by an adult unless the student has permission to carry his/her
medication. (For a student to carry medication in school, the proper paperwork must be on file in the
nurse’s office signed by the parent and doctor.) Controlled substances such as medication for ADHD,
cannot be carried by any student and must be brought into the nurse’s office by a parent.

All over
thecounter medication must be in the original container with the students name on the bottle.
All prescription medications must have the pharmacy label affixed to the bottle with the student’s
name, the name of the medication, the strength of the medication, how it is to be taken and the
prescriber’s name. This includes medication that students are allowed to self
administer. Remember
students are only allowed to carry medication if the proper paper work is on file in the nurse’s office.
The parent and doctor must sign off stating that the student has permission to self
administer his/her


Medication Form



Hearing, vision and scoliosis screening is required by the state of New York to be done for students in pre-K through 8th grades and all new students to the district within 6 months of admission to school.

Distance and near vision acuity are required in grades Pre K or K, 1, 3, 5, 7, and 11.

Hearing screening utilizing pure tone testing is required for new entrants within 6 months of admission to school and in grades Pre K or K, 1, 3, 5, 7, and 11.
Scoliosis screening is required in grades 5 and 7 for girls and grade 9 for boys.

If your child fails either the vision, hearing or scoliosis screening completed at school, paperwork will be sent home. Please take your child to the doctor to see if there is a problem and return the paperwork to the school nurse. For hearing problems, a visit to the child’s regular doctor would be the first step; that doctor may refer your child to a specialist. Vision problems will require a visit to an ophthalmologist or optometrist. If help is needed, please contact your school nurse.

If you have any questions, please contact the nurse's office at 631-324-0144 or email OR 



At the beginning of each school year, paperwork containing emergency information is sent home to be verified by parents. Please make sure that this information is current. If there are any changes, please keep the school informed. Changes in address and telephone numbers should be given to the main office.


NYS Public Health Law mandates that schools shall not permit a child to attend unless the parent

provides the school with a signed certificate of immunization completion or a letter from the healthcare
provider stating the student is In the process of receiving the mandated immunizations. The letter must
state the scheduled appointment date for all missing immunizations and be signed by the healthcare
provider. A list of the NYS immunization requirements for school entrance/attendance can be found below.

Immunization Requirements



All forms needed for physicals, medications, dental exams can be found to the left.  
The following forms must be completed yearly and returned to the school nurse:


·         Medication administration form, if medication is needed during school time

·         Dental health certificate

·         Refusal for BMI information to be used (this information is confidential; your child’s name is not associated with any data; only numbers are submitted.)